Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Recipe Ideas Forum Smoked IPA?

• Smoked IPA?

Posted by John on August 10, 2020 at 10:07 pm

I want to brew something a little different and wanted to see if anyone had any advice. I think I want to do a smoked IPA, likely with Warrior and Chinook hops and some smoked malt. I grow peppers and was even thinking about throwing in a little heat. Anyone have recommendations at a recipe I can start from? Google told me to check out Surly Brewing’s Dumpster Fire, but I can’t find any info on grain proportions, hop amounts, etc, but it seems to be about the beer I’m going for. Thanks! https://surlybrewing.com/beer/dumpster-fire/

BrewTogether replied 3 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • John

Administrator
    August 12, 2020 at 12:41 pm

Ok – here’s what I’m thinking – any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!

10 lb 2-Row
    2 lb Cherrywood Smoked Malt
    1/2 lb Rye Malt
    1/2 lb Honey Malt
    1/2 lb Carapils

1 oz Warrior at 60
    1/2 oz Chinook at 20
    1/2 oz Chinook at 10
    1/2 oz Chinook at 0

1/2 oz Chinook and 1/2 oz Warrior at Dry Hop

I’d also like to work in using a little bit of hot pepper. We’re growing some Carolina Reaper Ghost peppers and it’d be cool to throw a little of that in. I think the spice would go nicely with the smokiness and I feel like doing something a little different.

Any recommendations on changes to the grain bill or hop schedule?

Thanks!
    John

• John

Administrator
    August 25, 2020 at 5:47 pm

I brewed it! This was my second brew on my new Anvil Foundry so I am still dialing in my process, so my efficiency was low. I came it at 1.050, but the smoked malt came through nicely and the roasted rye added some complexity and darkened the color substantially. I think the honey malt added some sweetness that will hopefully stick around too. Overall, feeling optimistic!

• William

September 23, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Hey @John, did you taste it yet? I am thinking about brewing this over the weekend but wanted to see if you liked it first or if you were going to make changes?

• John

Administrator
    September 23, 2020 at 12:31 pm

I had the first real pint last night and it’s AMAZING! I am super happy with it. I’ll keep changing the recipe because I have too much ADD to brew the same things over and over, but I definitely recommend brewing it. @brewtogether – can we do an article on this one? It’s worth having it up on the blog!

• BrewTogether

Administrator
    September 23, 2020 at 12:42 pm

Definitely! We’ll get this posted as a recipe on the blog!

• Jack Campbell

September 30, 2020 at 10:39 am

This sounds really good. I definitely want to try making this.

• BrewTogether

Administrator
    November 10, 2020 at 10:30 am

This recipe has been posted on the blog as an official BrewTogether Recipe! Check out the recipe, instructions, and downloadable brew day worksheet here: https://brewtogether.com/2020/10/23/smoke-signal-ipa/

“Smoke Signal” Smoked Rye IPA Recipe: The Ultimate Fall Beer