Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Recipe Ideas Forum Toasted Red Ale?

• John

Administrator
    February 7, 2018 at 3:34 pm

We found a very generic recipe and made a few changes to try something unique – here’s what we ended up brewing:

Toasted Irish Red (5.5 Gal)

Estimated O.G. = 1.052
    Estimated F.G. = 1.012
    Estimated ABV = 5.25%
    Estimated Bitterness = 25 IBUs

10 lbs. Maris Otter Malt
    0.5 lbs. Briess Caramel 60 Malt
    0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley

1 oz Fuggle Hops (Added at beginning of 60 minute boil)
    1 oz Challenger Hops (added 10 minutes before the end of the 60 minute boil)

Safale S-04 dry yeast

Mashed in at 152 for 60 minutes, mashed out at about 162 (a little lower than intended), held for 10 minutes, vorloffed, and fly sparged.

O.G. ended up being 1.059. Volume was a little low – we were planning on 5.5 gallon batch, but decided we liked the O.G. a little higher and opted to stay at about 5.0 gallons after the boil.

I’ll make an update once we see how it turns out. If it’s good I’ll add it to the recipe database and link it to here.

• John

Administrator
    March 6, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Going to get this kegged up this weekend and will report back once we taste it. It ended up being super cloudy and not really what we expected, but a cold crashed helped clear it up some. The flavor was really great – I definitely want to brew it again and see if I can dial in the color/clarity a little more.

• Dave

April 2, 2018 at 1:46 pm

First successful pour!!