Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Equipment Forum Stuck Tap Handle

• Stuck Tap Handle

Posted by Jack Campbell on December 15, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Hello everybody, do you have any ideas why my taps are getting stuck? It’s hard to move the handle and I’m worried I will break it if I pull too hard. I have been reducing my drinking lately and have not used the taps for a couple of weeks, so I’m wondering if the beer dried in it and got it stuck?

Dave replied 4 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jim

December 15, 2019 at 1:55 pm

Yep, they’re just dirty . The sugars in the beer gum everything up as the beer dries in the faucet. Each time I change the keg I take my tap apart and clean it really well. You can also have a keg with some keg cleaner or PBW or starsan and run it through the lines and faucets with co2.

Try these, too – faucet covers really help reduce this problem:

• Arthur Reed

December 15, 2019 at 1:57 pm

The cheap style faucets are always open will get stuck closed after only a few days of non use. Time to upgrade to the forward sealing type like Perlick.

• William

December 15, 2019 at 1:59 pm

I don’t use mine. I use a picnic tap for this reason. I simply don’t drink my beer fast enough to keep the tap from drying up every time. Knowing what I know now. I would never run this setup. To much BS

• Amanda Parker

December 15, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Run hot water over it and it’ll free up. Then I’d disassemble the faucet and scrub it out with a brush. Make sure you’re cleaning your lines properly too

• Dave

December 18, 2019 at 11:07 pm

Definitely want to disassemble and clean the tap handle and beer line after each keg, but I also found that the faucet covers that Jim posted have made a huge difference in the tap handles not sticking (and they’re cheap, too!)