Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums General Brewing Forum Stuck Fermentation

• Stuck Fermentation

Posted by Peter on April 16, 2020 at 3:27 pm

I think I might have a stuck fermentation on a pale ale. Any tips on getting it restarted? I’ve never had this happen before. My OG was 1.059 and after a day or so I was at 1.032, but it’s been 2 days and I’m still at 1.032. Any ideas?

Jim replied 3 years, 12 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jim

April 16, 2020 at 3:29 pm

What yeast are you using and what is the temperature you’re fermenting at? Slow fermentation might indicate that the temperature is too low for the yeast. Did you make a starter?

• Peter

April 16, 2020 at 3:31 pm

I used US05 dry yeast and didn’t make a starter. I just direct pitched it dry into the wort. I have always done that and haven’t had a problem. Temperature is at 68. I can try to get it a little warmer.

• John

Administrator
    April 16, 2020 at 3:33 pm

Was it an all grain batch? Your mash temp may be holding back attentuating further. You’ll have less fermentable sugars at higher mash temps.

• Peter

April 16, 2020 at 3:35 pm

It was allgrain and I mashed at 154 for 60 minutes. Maybe I should have used a starter…

• Jim

April 16, 2020 at 3:37 pm

Don’t panic yet! Starters will definitely help you in the future. They will reduce stress on the yeast and have them awake and hungry! For now, slowly bring the temperature up to about 70, and GENTLY shake the fermenter. After that, give it several hours to show signs of fermentation. If that doesn’t work, you can pitch some additional yeast. Good luck!