Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums General Brewing Forum StarSan Hand Sanitizer for Coronavirus?

• Karen Draper

March 20, 2020 at 1:49 pm

I have been wondering the same thing! I would assume that starsan will kill anything because it is good enough to completely sterilize brewing equipment. For cleaning, keep in mind that StarSan or other acid based sanitizers can and will stain and etch surfaces that they should not be used on like counters.

• Peter

March 20, 2020 at 1:51 pm

Regular soap is the best, folks. The Coronavirus membrane is lipid which easily dissolved when in contact with soap.

• William

March 20, 2020 at 1:52 pm

Agree with Peter – Soap is better than sanitizer. Soap actually rips the virus in half as it attaches to protein and fat. If you’d like a visual imagine with happens to a drop of oil in water when you add soap.

• John

Administrator
    March 20, 2020 at 3:24 pm

The consensus is “no”. First, Starsan DOES sanitize viruses on surfaces but will NOT sanitize your hands. Starsan is acid based and will damage most household surfaces. Use a bleach solution instead.

• Arthur Reed

March 20, 2020 at 3:27 pm

What about PBW, would that work as a cleaner against this virus?
    The only reason I ask is because I know some people have commented starsan will not work because of the virus’s protein makeup and it doesn’t effectively breakdown the lipid layer.

• Jim

March 20, 2020 at 3:33 pm

PBW would probably not work well for surface sanitation. Soap works because the molecule essentially envelopes a particle (virus or bacteria) allowing you to wash it away from your hands. But if you simply spray soap on a countertop I can’t imagine it would do much against a biological organism. PBW can also damage surfaces.

Don’t panic, people! Just wash your hands and don’t touch your face!

If you HAVE to make hand sanitizer – use a high-proof grain alcohol like Everclear or a strong vodka.

• Alba

May 15, 2020 at 8:07 pm

I have been using this oxipro https://www.artesanoos.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/esteriliz.jpg I mean Trisodium phosphate as a big soap and desinfecting.

• alf

January 10, 2022 at 5:00 pm

signed up to get the star san dilution chart but website is “stuck”. Will not allow you to scroll down, page vibrates when attempting to scroll?

• BrewTogether

Administrator
      January 13, 2022 at 8:43 am

Hello! Our apologies for the error! Please send us a message or email us at john@brewtogether.com and we’ll send over the calculator tool for you. Thanks!