Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums General Brewing Forum Shipping Homebrew

• Jim

January 3, 2020 at 8:19 pm

It’s illegal to ship alcohol without a license. However, there are ways to get around it. The worst option is the US Postal service. They might actually check your package. The best options are FedEx, UPS, and DHL. Just don’t tell the carrier that you’re shipping beer.

• Jack Campbell

January 3, 2020 at 8:20 pm

FedEx all the way for me. House-made pickle shipments, or sending yeast samples 🙂

• Arthur Reed

January 3, 2020 at 8:21 pm

Most everyone who ships booze via a mail carrier just says its something other than alcohol. Just remember, you run the risk if it breaks in shipping. You will be reported to the ATF, you will be responsible for any damages done to the carrier’s equipment and any other packages that are damaged from your peanut butter and jelly stout. So pack your items wisely cuz the word “fragile” is more a challenge than it is a precaution to the shippers. Good luck.

• Jake Bell

January 3, 2020 at 8:22 pm

The clerk at my local post office told me to send it as yeast cultures or as a marinade since it doesn’t actually qualify as hazardous material because it’s not high enough in alcohol. But the rule book says it’s hazardous at 5% which we know cannot burn in any normal means so as long as the name is different on the claim sheet its legal.