Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Equipment Forum Season Aluminum Kettle

• Season Aluminum Kettle

• Karen Draper

January 5, 2020 at 7:04 pm

What is the proper way to get an aluminum kettle ready to brew (seasoning it) and how to clean it? I’m just getting more into brewing after doing 1 gallon batches in my kitchen. I bought a large aluminum pot turkey fryer on clearance after Christmas and want to make sure I like doing 5 gallon batches before upgrading to stainless steel.

• Arthur Reed

January 5, 2020 at 7:10 pm

Fill it with water and bring to a boil for about half an hour to “season” it. Wash with regular dish soap & water, and you should be good to go. I started with an aluminum pot too.

• Karen Draper

January 5, 2020 at 7:11 pm

I saw someone say to use the yellow side of a scrubby not the Green side, is there a reason for that?

• Arthur Reed

January 5, 2020 at 7:13 pm

Yeah, you don’t want to use anything too abrasive. You don’t want to scuff off the layer of oxidation that builds up during seasoning.

• Jack Campbell

January 5, 2020 at 7:16 pm

Be careful cleaning the aluminum kettle – PBS is caustic, it will dissolve aluminum oxide, the protective layer that keeps aluminum from corroding. No PBW (or oxyclean) or lye on aluminum (they’re just fine on stainless, though). Using PBW on aluminum will cause a bunch of little pin holes and ruin your kettle.

• Jim

January 5, 2020 at 7:20 pm

Season by boiling water for 30 minutes.

When it gets dirty or scorched clean it up with a scouring pad and some barkeepers friend. Rinse it well and re-season it with a water boil for 30 minutes to get a good oxidization layer built back up. Like Jack said, don’t let is soak with PBW. Anytime you do, even for a short time you will need to re-season it. Just use dish soap and water.

• Jake Bell

January 5, 2020 at 7:29 pm

I’d upgrade soon. Aluminum can have a much higher level of heavy metals than Stainless Steel. Like Lead and Mercury. If these pot are manufactured in Asia and Mexico beware.
    Plus they are harder to clean due to rough surfaces which microbs love, and you have to be really gentle and not use any strong cleaners.

• Amanda Parker

January 5, 2020 at 7:32 pm

Nothing wrong with aluminum. I have a 10 gallon that sees plenty of use. The only bummer as mentioned above, is that cleaning has to be a gentler process. I stick with a tiny bit of dish soap and a plastic-bristled brush. Takes more elbow grease than my smaller stainless pot, but it was super cheap.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now