Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Recipe Ideas Forum Roasted Rye Pale Ale

• Roasted Rye Pale Ale

Posted by John on September 29, 2020 at 2:28 pm

I set out to brew a Cascade SMaSH last weekend with Marris Otter and some homegrown Cascade, but I couldn’t help myself and ended up throwing in some leftovers from the Smoked IPA I brewed a few weeks ago. I ended up with:

10 lbs Marrios Otter
    1/2 lb Roasted Rye Malt

60 min – 1 oz Homegrown Cascade and 1/4 Warrior Pellets
    30 min – 1/2 oz Homegrown Cascade
    15 min – 1/2 oz Homegrown Cascade and 1/2 oz Chinook Pellets
    Flameout – 1/2 oz Homegrown Cascade and 1/2 oz Chinook Pellets

Fermented with US-05

Will add another oz or so of homegrown cascade in “secondary” after my primary fermentation finishes up, but I’m not planning on doing a transfer.

I don’t really know how this will turn out – I just had really low self control on brew day. The wort sample tasted great and it smells good, so I’m feeling optimistic! Capturing it here just in case it’s a winner!

John replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Jack Campbell

September 30, 2020 at 10:38 am

So this is kind of similar to the smoked ipa you made but without the smoke right? That would be cool to basically make the same IPA with and without smoke and have both on tap.

• John

Administrator
    October 18, 2020 at 6:39 pm

And we’re done! Five gallons of what was originally going to be a Cascade/Marris Otter SMaSH but ended up being some kind of Roasted Rye pale ale is ready to be kegged. The sample tasted pretty solid even warm and uncarbonated, so I think this will be a decent beer!

• John

Administrator
    October 25, 2020 at 7:55 am

Update: It’s not bad! I don’t think it’s amazing and I probably wouldn’t go buy the ingredients and brew it again, but I don’t think I’ll have trouble working through 5 gallons of it over the fall! It’s got a nice malt flavor, but is probably slightly under-hopped. A lot of that is probably just from using homegrown hops and not having a consistent crop of those. Definitely happy enough with it, though – especially for such a lazily brewed beer!