Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums General Brewing Forum Prevent Oxidation Post Fermentation

• Arthur Reed

December 15, 2019 at 1:57 pm

Pressure Ferment, purged dry hop additions and fully closed transfer with Co2…

• William

December 15, 2019 at 1:58 pm

I add a solid hit of honey any time I open the fermenter or transfer, in order to restart fermentation and get a CO2 blanket. Not sure if it actually helps, but it eases my oxygenation worries.

• John

Administrator
    December 15, 2019 at 2:03 pm

Closed transfers and purge keg with co2. I’m still using glass fermenters mostly, but I’ve got a racking cane setup for closed transfers. For purging with Co2, I either use my 20lb tanks for my keezers or I use one of these little ones because they’re convenient: https://amzn.to/2ElSfPs

• Peter

December 15, 2019 at 2:05 pm

I went down this rabbit hole once. Then I discovered that I was over thinking things. Have you ACTUALLY found that your beer is getting oxidized? I’ve never detected oxidation in my beers when using “normal” methods for brewing/fermentation/cold crashing/kegging.
    The only things I do are avoid turbulence when racking into the keg and skipping secondary fermentation.

• Amanda Parker

December 15, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Don’t do secondary fermentation! It’s not helpful on a homebrewing scale and you oxidize way too much for it to be worth it.

• Ramesh Pandey

December 15, 2019 at 2:16 pm

If dry hopping pressurize the dome and burp 10-12 times to push out O2. Conduct a pressurized transfer, fill keg with star san and push out with CO2.