Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums General Brewing Forum NEIPA Oxidation

• NEIPA Oxidation

Posted by Jack Campbell on December 22, 2019 at 12:26 am

I’m gearing up to brew my first NEIPA. I know that oxidation is important to avoid, especially with this style. Question: how do you handle dry hopping? Just toss the hops in as quickly as possible and assume what little air that gets in is the cost of dry hopping? Or does anyone purge the head space with CO2 afterwards? And if so, what does your setup look like? As an aside, I currently use a 6.5 gallon glass carboy but thinking of upgrading to a stainless conical which is likely safer if purging.

John replied 4 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Arthur Reed

December 22, 2019 at 12:27 am

I like using fresh hops from an unopened package for dry hops. I usually just put the whole addition in a ziplock bag, cut out the corner and dump them straight into the glass carboy and put the airlock back. I’ve never purged with o2. Never had a problem. Just juice from a pound of hops!!!

• Jim

December 22, 2019 at 12:28 am

Something else to consider is using something to weigh the hops down, as they will want to float. I picked up some marbles at the dollar store, super easy to sanitize, and a good weight.

• Peter N

December 22, 2019 at 12:30 am

You could try filling up your fermentor w c02 or something to expel the oxygen out, then prepare a blowout or airlock.
    I’ve never made what you’re talking about or use c02, and honestly if it were me, I would probably just wing it and throw it in. Use a tea infuser. I’ve heard of others using c02 to purge oxygen

• William

December 22, 2019 at 12:30 am

Toss in when you are about 10 points away from FG. Residual fermentation should eat up any of the o2 that gets in.

• Jim

December 22, 2019 at 12:32 am

I’ve gotten so anal about both O2 and hop creep. I stopped hopping during active fermentation and do a mini cold crash at 52 degrees for two days after diacytel rest. Then dump the hops into a keg and CO2 purge before closed racking from carboy. Let keg sit for two days at room temp before going into fridge and carbing. I use floating dip tubes so no issue dry hopping the keg.
    This has worked really well for me.

• John

Administrator
    December 22, 2019 at 12:32 am

Yes, you need to be aware of o2, but you’re over thinking this… rdwhahb