Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Recipe Ideas Forum Maple Nut Brown Ale

• Maple Nut Brown Ale

Posted by John on December 21, 2019 at 10:56 pm

I’m going to be brewing a nut brown ale using Northern Brewer’s Nut Brown recipe as a base, but I want to add maple syrup and maybe some cold brewed coffee to it to make a “breakfast brown ale”. My understanding is that adding maple syrup during the boil or in primary fermentation is a waste because the flavors will ferment out. I’m planning on adding the coffee and maple syrup to either secondary or more likely directly into the keg so that it doesn’t ferment. Any recommendations on the amount of maple syrup and coffee for a 5 gallon batch? Or strong opinions on when/how I should add it? Thanks!

John replied 4 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Peter

December 21, 2019 at 11:39 pm

I just got done kegging up a Maple Porter last week. My process with the maple syrup is to warm the bottle up under hot running water, add to sanitized keg and rack beer right onto it. Once sealed I give it a good little shake after purging the air out with CO2 then stored at 34 degrees to carb up. For my beer I had two bottles of syrup that were 8.5 oz so a total of 17 oz. The previous time I brewed this I put 22 ounces of syrup and I thought I was going to get diabetes it was so sweet. I tasted this recent batch yesterday and the syrup is not over powering and not overly sweet. Hope this helps.

• Jim

December 21, 2019 at 11:43 pm

I have done a maple coffee brown the last couple of years. It is around 6% ABV with a pound of maple syrup in the boil and around 12 oz in the keg. I heat cold brew coffee up to about 165° and stir in the syrup, cool it, add it to the keg, fill the keg on top of it. I get plenty of maple shining through.

• John

Administrator
    January 31, 2020 at 8:18 pm

FINALLY planning on brewing this over the weekend! Here’s what I’m going with:

Grain
    7.5 lbs English Maris Otter
    0.25 lbs. English Chocolate Malt
    0.25 lbs. Briess Caramel 120
    0.25 lbs. Belgian Biscuit
    0.25 lbs. Briess Special Roast

Hops
    1 oz. Fuggle (60 min)

Yeast
    Safale US-04

1 week in primary
    1 week in secondary (using a Catalyst so will just be removing the
    Secondary/kegging additions:
    16 oz 100% Pure Grade A Maple Syrup
    12-16oz Cold Brew coffee

Was originally thinking to let some of the syrup ferment, but @rogkenn mentioned he had fermented some maple last year and it turned out bad, so planning on having most or all of it stay unfermented by adding it when I keg.

Thoughts on this anyone?