Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Ingredients Forum Lactose Replacement

• Jim

March 23, 2020 at 3:51 pm

I don’t believe there is a perfect 1-1, but a combination of things can definitely help you. Lactose has an effect on sweetness, mouthfeel, and flavor. If I were replacing it, this is what I would do:
    Mouthfeel – Add 1.5 to 2 lbs of flaked oats to add a silky. creamy mouthfeel.
    Flavor – add a small amount of vanilla extract to add just a bit of cream-like flavor.
    Sweetness – If you are ok with non-fermentable sugars, add something to increase the sweetness. Xylitol is generally considered to be the best non-fermentable sugar for sweetening other than lactose.

• Arthur Reed

March 23, 2020 at 4:19 pm

Try adding some turbinado (Sugar In The Raw) in the last 10 minutes of your boil. I like the idea of oats for mouthfeel too. Not sure about the vanilla.

• Jim

March 23, 2020 at 4:21 pm

One other thing you can try is to mash at a higher temperature than usual, maybe around 158° to decrease the fermentability of the wort and make it fuller-bodied and sweeter.