Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Equipment Forum Grain Mill Frustration

• Grain Mill Frustration

Posted by Nick on September 5, 2021 at 10:33 am

I received the Ferroday 2 roller grain mill for my birthday this year and I love the ability to crack my own grain now. The thing I DON’T like is that I have to hand crank it. The website says a 3/8 inch will work on the crankshaft, but when I try to use the 3/8 inch, it’s ever so slightly too small. Nothing in my socket set fits. Any suggestions as to how I can work around this?

Nick replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • John

Administrator
    September 7, 2021 at 8:44 am

I don’t have the Ferroday, but I had a similar issue with my mill where my corded 3/8 drill didn’t QUITE open large enough to fit the crankshaft, but my cordless drill ended up working. I didn’t want to burn out my cordless drill, so I went through sockets until I found that the 8mm one worked on mine.

• Nick

September 7, 2021 at 9:15 am

I tried my 8mm as well, but no luck. Time to MacGyver this thing I guess. Haha!

• BrewTogether

Administrator
    September 7, 2021 at 9:09 am

Hi Nick,

We haven’t tested this yet, but one thing we’ve thought about trying is a chuck adapter for a drill that you could just tighten down onto the crankshaft. Something like this, maybe? https://amzn.to/2X1FUgq

We’ll let you know if/when we test it out!

• Nick

September 7, 2021 at 9:18 am

I wonder if my drill’s Chuck would work the same? Hmm…stuff to try out.