Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums General Brewing Forum Forgot Priming Sugar

Tagged: ,

• Forgot Priming Sugar

Posted by Peter on December 12, 2019 at 10:59 pm

I made a stupid rookie mistake and I’m hoping you guys can help me out. I bottled 5 gallons of a Mosaic IPA and on bottle 54 I realized I forgot to add the priming sugar. Ugh. I just tried one after about two weeks in bottle and it is very flat but tastes pretty good. I bought kegging equipment and I’m going to start kegging on my next batch. Can I open the bottles and pour them into a keg and then force carbonate it? Any other suggestions?

BrewTogether replied 4 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • John

Administrator
    December 12, 2019 at 11:25 pm

It would technically work, but I think you’d run a lot of risk of oxidation which will cause a lot of off flavors. If it were me, I’d probably open each bottle carefully and add some priming sugar and then re-cap them.

• Arthur Reed

December 12, 2019 at 11:32 pm

You can definitely pour them into a keg. Just do it carefully so that you don’t get too much oxygen in the beer. It’ll be fine.

• Jim

December 12, 2019 at 11:33 pm

Definitely don’t do that – there’s no way you won’t oxidize the beer to the point of ruining the flavor.

• Jim

December 12, 2019 at 11:35 pm

Trust me – just open each bottle carefully, put 1 tsp of priming sugar in each bottle, and cap them again. Don’t try to put it in the keg – I have tried it and it doesn’t work well at all.

• Jack Campbell

December 12, 2019 at 11:37 pm

I haven’t tried to keg it after bottling, but I have forgotten to add priming sugar before and I just used the carbonation tablets and it worked out ok. Relax, don’t worry, have a homebrew!

• BrewTogether

Administrator
    December 12, 2019 at 11:39 pm

Hey Peter! Here’s our take: We don’t recommend trying to put the bottled beer in the keg. It would probably WORK, but we think it’s high-risk for ruining the beer. Our recommendation is to open each bottle carefully to avoid contamination, and add one of these carbonation drops to each bottle: https://amzn.to/2PJ02MN. After that, just cap each one and give it two weeks to carbonate. Good luck!