Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Equipment Forum Fermenter Styles

Tagged: 

• Fermenter Styles

Posted by Jack Campbell on March 19, 2020 at 2:13 pm

What’s your favorite style of fermenter for 5 gallon batches and why? I use glass carboys because they are cheap, don’t have a high contamination risk, and I can see through them. I like to be able to see the fermentation!

James replied 2 years, 6 months ago 9 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • John

Administrator
    March 19, 2020 at 2:59 pm

I used glass carboys for years but I’m done with them now. They scare me too much and I’ve seen too many people get hurt by them. I recently got a Catalyst fermenter because I liked the idea of the no-transfer secondary fermentation and the ability to do closed transfers to kegs. I’ve been happy with it – the tritan plastic is harder than normal plastic so it seems like it’ll last a long time but it’s lighter and feels safer than glass. I’d recommend it at this point. Here’s a link to the one I have: https://amzn.to/2xc8dvu

I’ve also used the plastic Big Mouth Bubblers from Northern Brewer and been really happy with them. I have this one: https://amzn.to/3baSzPG

I’d recommend either!

• Jim

March 19, 2020 at 3:03 pm

I recommend stainless steel if you can afford it. Having made the switch to stainless (anvil) and buying a conical (SS brewtech) I’ll never go back. A SS conical with temp control is just an amazing upgrade for a home brewery.

Ss Brew Bucket is cheaper and easy to clean. I miss looking the fermentation, but cleaning the carboys is to dangerous, especially at my age! The best overall is my Ss Brewtech conicals because of the chilling/temp control.

• Karen Draper

March 19, 2020 at 3:08 pm

I still use plastic buckets from homebrew supply stores and I haven’t changed because I’ve been happy with them. They’re cheap, easy to clean, and have ports at the bottom so that I can gravity transfer without a siphon. Carboys freak me out too much.

• Ramesh Pandey

March 19, 2020 at 3:09 pm

I’ve used plastic buckets and glass carboys because that’s just what I have. I use the plastic buckets for the primary and glass carboys for secondary.

• William

March 19, 2020 at 3:21 pm

I use this one and I have been VERY happy with it, especially for the price.

https://amzn.to/2U3EhKY

• Alan

May 17, 2020 at 6:18 pm

Anyone use a Fermzilla? I just received my 7.1 gallon conical fermenter and am considering pressurized fermentation (optional), dry hop additions, and transfers.

• Arthur Reed

May 18, 2020 at 2:20 pm

I have a Fermzilla All Rounder, and I absolutely love it. Best brewing purchase I’ve ever made. The pressure fermentation and closed transfer have been game changers for my beer. I definitely recommend springing for the pressurized fermentation!

• James

September 26, 2021 at 3:26 pm

I ferment 4 gallon Batches in a Corney Keg with the dip tube cut about 1 inch shorter. Then I can do closed transfer to the keg.