Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Equipment Forum False Bottom Hole Size

• False Bottom Hole Size

• Ramesh Pandey

January 3, 2020 at 8:54 pm

How big should the holes in a false bottom be.? I plan on making one but not sure what size to drill them if I can get away with bigger holes and less of them then I’d be more inclined to go that way.

• Jim

January 3, 2020 at 8:55 pm

Are you using it for a mash tun, support for a BIAB setup or what?

• Ramesh Pandey

January 3, 2020 at 8:55 pm

I use brew in a bag so it’s basically just to keep the bag from burning

• Jim

January 3, 2020 at 8:58 pm

You’d probably be okay with maybe 1/4” to 3/8” holes for that. See if you can get a carbide tipped drill (for metal, not concrete) and use lots of oil. Should work.

• John

Administrator
    January 3, 2020 at 8:58 pm

More, smaller holes is better. Stainless is generally difficult to drill holes in, with the amount of time it will take to drill hundreds of tiny holes, you will find you’re better off buying one.

• Jake Bell

January 3, 2020 at 9:00 pm

To drill stainless you need high pressure slow drill movement. If you go too fast the stainless will work harden and your drill bit will be useless.

False bottoms are cheap – I recommend just buying one.

• Jack Campbell

January 3, 2020 at 9:01 pm

11/32 i believe is what i did mine in, too big and you’ll get a lot of grain through it

• Ramesh Pandey

January 3, 2020 at 9:01 pm

I use brew in a bag setup so it’s just a buffer plate so my bag won’t scotch on the bottom of the kettle

• Jack Campbell

January 3, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Oh perfect, for that I would just use a pizza pan upside down. Lot of times you can get one the same size as your Kettle and they already have the holes stamped in them. That way you don’t go through the trouble of drilling holes in stainless steel now and then have to do it again later if you want to mash the grains out of the bag.

• Ramesh Pandey

January 3, 2020 at 10:19 pm

yeah I one day would like a mash tun that lets me mash in the grains without a bag but I like the brew in a bag for its simplicity.

the pizza pan is a great idea! I never would have though of it. thank you!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now