Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums General Brewing Forum CO2 – Is there a difference?

• CO2 – Is there a difference?

Posted by Dave on February 8, 2018 at 3:40 pm

We are just starting into kegging and need to get a CO2 cylinder filled. Does anyone know if there is a difference between industrial grade CO2 and food/beverage grade CO2? Did some internet searching – most homebrewers think that CO2 is CO2 and buy theirs from wherever it is cheapest, but a few maintain that you should only use a food grade CO2. Still others say that it is the cleanliness of the inside of the tanks that is most important (and just how would I check that?!). Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

William replied 4 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Jake Bell

January 3, 2020 at 7:43 pm

I didn’t know there was a difference nor have I’ve experienced any ill effects having my tank filled with industrial by the fire extinguisher guy. Both are 99 5 percent pure, yet industrial is not tested thus it is cheaper.

• Jim

January 3, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Co2 is co2. I’m sure theres an in line filter out there you can add if you want. One gas is just certified as not containing anything else and the other isn’t. They both come from the same source and tanks.

• Jack Campbell

January 3, 2020 at 7:45 pm

My welding supplier also does bars. He said that, at least in his case, the two grades are the same. Lucky me – no price difference when I told him it was for brewing.

• Peter

January 3, 2020 at 8:14 pm

Make sure its food or beverage grade… They filter everything different to reduce residual oils from the compressors to make it safer

• William

January 3, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Food grade is 99.90% pure where industrial is 99% it’s up to you if that .9% matters. The main thing is consider where you are getting it filled and their process. I believe some places such as a paintball shop may add oil to the mix. I have had mine filled at a welding shop with out specifying use and have had no issues with what I got.