Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Equipment Forum Carbonate in Growlers?

• Carbonate in Growlers?

Posted by Arthur Reed on December 14, 2019 at 4:05 pm

I moved my 1-gallon Irish Red ale into 3 32 oz. growlers. I put 3 Fizz drops each and now to wait a week or two and see what happens. It’s ok to bottle in growlers right?

John replied 4 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • John

Administrator
    December 14, 2019 at 4:06 pm

Just sure those growlers are fermentation grade glass – many are not intended to contain pressure!

• Jim

December 14, 2019 at 4:07 pm

Seconded – you don’t want to use regular growlers for bottling like that.

• Arthur Reed

December 14, 2019 at 4:07 pm

How can you tell if they are fermentation grade? Guess I’ll find out – how will I know?

• John

Administrator
    December 14, 2019 at 4:08 pm

Don’t wait to find out – you’ll know when the pressure causes the glass to crack and/or explode. Otherwise, if it doesn’t say anything about withstanding higher pressure and you weren’t aware, odds are very high that it isn’t rated for that kind of pressure.

• William

December 14, 2019 at 4:10 pm

I had a growler of cider explode last month and glass pieces were in radius of 20 feet! Luckily nobody was in the basement when that thing blew up! Be really careful and if you don’t move the beer out of the growlers into bottles, at least seal the growlers in a closed plastic storage bin or something to prevent a mess and danger.

• Arthur Reed

December 14, 2019 at 4:46 pm

I may have to see about transferring this tonight. Although then I I have no way to know how much primer to add back in the bottles.
    I did at least put them inside a cooler so if they do blow it will be contained.

• John

Administrator
    December 14, 2019 at 4:48 pm

When did you add the priming sugar? if it’s already primed you won’t need to prime again.

• Arthur Reed

December 14, 2019 at 4:49 pm

I put the fizz drops in the growlers last night…so maybe like 12-13 hours?

• John

Administrator
    December 14, 2019 at 4:50 pm

Oh that’s good – I wouldn’t worry about adding more sugar – just bottle it in sterile bottles. Be careful to introduce as little oxygen as possible to the beer – try to bottle it really gently and not let too much air into it.