Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Ingredients Forum Buying Grain In Bulk

• Buying Grain In Bulk

Posted by Jack Campbell on June 23, 2020 at 7:08 am

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice on buying grain in bulk now that I have a grain mill. I was going to buy a 55lb sack of base malt, but it looks like that is excluded from free shipping at most online places. I don’t have a LHBS nearby. Any recommendations?

Jeff replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • BrewTogether

Administrator
    June 23, 2020 at 9:05 am

Hi Jack!

We have a recommendation for this! We have found that it is cheaper to order grain in 10lb increments from MoreBeer, which will qualify for free shipping no matter how many you order over the minimum.

For example, a 55lb sack of Rahr 2-row is $49.99, but it requires freight shipping, bringing the total to $83.30. That comes out to $1.51/lb.
    BUT if you order it in 10lb increments and get free shipping, it is only $12.99 per 10-lb bag, which (as long as you order enough for free shipping) is $1.30/lb. So, it’s cheaper AND you have more flexibility on how much you order, whether you want it milled, and they all come individually sealed. We think this is the best way to do it as of right now!

Also, you can support BrewTogether AT NO ADDITIONAL COST to you by ordering from MoreBeer through our affiliate link! We use the small commissions we earn through those affiliate relationships to maintain this site and keep BrewTogether free! Here’s the link – thanks so much for your support! https://www.morebeer.com/index?a_aid=BrewTogether

• Jeff

March 13, 2022 at 10:44 pm

See if one of the local brewery’s can order you a 55lbs bag on there next order, I use the large air tight dog food storage bin. Hope this helps! Cheers