Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums General Brewing Forum Brewing with Well Water

• Brewing with Well Water

Posted by Dave on April 10, 2021 at 12:05 pm

We have moved to a home in the mountains of Western North Carolina and we have a well as our water source. Previously, I have always treated my brewing water with Campden tablets to remove chlorine and chloramine. I won’t need to do that here since the water does not contain chlorine, but was wondering if there is any other treatment recommended when brewing with well water. The well is 850′ deep and has a two-stage filter system, with the water going through a 25 micron filter and then a 5 micron filter. Does anyone else on Brewtogether brew with well water or have any suggestions? Thanks!

Dave replied 2 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Jim

April 10, 2021 at 4:55 pm

The “right” answer would be to tell you to get your water tested so that you understand the profile and can make adjustments accordingly, but based on your description, I think that you’ll be able to brew great beer with your water. Well water in general is very clean, but ay be fairly mineral rich. After going through the filtration system, I think you’ll have water that is perfectly appropriate for most styles. If you’re brewing something with a very specific water profile it might be worth adjusting, but for most beers I think you’ll do great with what you have!

• Dave

April 10, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Thanks Jim, sounds great!