Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Ingredients Forum Breakfast Cereal?

Tagged: 

• Breakfast Cereal?

Posted by Jake Bell on March 19, 2020 at 2:24 pm

I know, I know – this has been done to death. But all of the buzz about these cereal NEIPAs has me thinking about adding cereal to my next beer. Anyone done this? Should I add to it to the mash, boil, or something else? And why?

Karen Draper replied 4 years ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • John

Administrator
    March 19, 2020 at 3:16 pm

Same here! I know it’s just a dumb fad but I still want to try it while it’s new and fun. I’m thinking of something really out there like a fruit loops IPA or something like that. I know I’m going to get a ton of eye rolls, but will likely make it a milkshake IPA because the sweetness and mouthfeel will probably go better with the flavor. I’ve heard you have to use it in the mash, but I worry that all of the flavor will just ferment out and I’ll be left with a nasty color.

• Jim

March 19, 2020 at 3:18 pm

If you’re DETERMINED to do this, you need to add it in the mash. I’ve tasted a lot of beers brewed with a variety of breakfast cereals. Usually you can’t tell they were there at all. Unfortunately when you CAN tell, it’s usually disgusting.

• Arthur Reed

March 19, 2020 at 3:20 pm

Always add cereal to the mash to convert starches to sugars. You can’t be successful with it adding it in the boil or later. Don’t forget to add rice hulls because without them you will almost certainly get a stuck mash.

• Karen Draper

March 25, 2020 at 7:59 pm

I think I’m going to brew an stout with Lucky Charms. I was thinking I’d put the cereal part in the mash and the marshmallows in secondary. I figured a stout would be more forgiving because the dark color would mask what I assume would be a nasty looking mix of colors from the marshmallows. I originally thought about doing a dry Irish stout because because Lucky Charms in an Irish stout sounded fun, but I’m thinking a sweeter style or milk stout would probably work better.