Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums General Brewing Forum Bottles in Dishwasher

• John

Administrator
    December 24, 2019 at 6:42 pm

Yes, but don’t use soap! Don’t put them in with other dishes either. I make sure my dishwasher is clean and then I put only bottles in with no soap, and I run the dishwasher on the sterilize (heavy) setting. It heats them up enough to be sterile so you don’t even HAVE to use starsan (but I still do sometimes – better safe than sorry).

• Jim

December 26, 2019 at 5:22 pm

The sanitize function is what you need to look for. Might be worthwhile to check your dishwasher actually gets hot enough. You can run a load and test with thermometer. But it should be good and no sanitizer needed period. Just like a good boil would kill anything.

• Jake Bell

December 26, 2019 at 5:23 pm

I wash bottles with the dishes after use. On bottling day, I put them in the dishwasher, no detergent, sani-rinse on. Then I bottle. They are sanitized by the heat in the dishwasher, making StarSan unnecessary. I’ve done it this way for five years now and it works great.

• Jack Campbell

December 26, 2019 at 5:29 pm

You’ll still need to cleanse them with PBW/oxyclean to get out debris because the the dishwasher water likely won’t get all the way into them. Before I switched to kegging I just dunked them in a bucket of cleanser, rinsed or used a bottle rinser attachment for my sink, then just used star San in a squeeze bottle. Two or three sprays then let them sit upside down. IMHO it was easier than the dishwasher and saves a lot of water and electricity. You can also get one of these (totally worth it): https://amzn.to/2MxEQIF