Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Equipment Forum Big Mouth Bubbler

• Big Mouth Bubbler

Posted by John on January 19, 2019 at 5:55 pm

Got a free Big Mouth Bubbler from Northern Brewer during one of their sales and I’m going to try it tomorrow. Has anyone used these? Anything I need to be aware of before using?

Here’s a link to the Amazon listing – https://amzn.to/33axtgW

John replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • John

Administrator
    January 22, 2019 at 2:20 pm

So far so good! I was a little nervous about it at first because the lid didn’t seem like it would be secure enough, and the plastic felt kind of thin around the sides, but I am actually pretty happy with the design. It was easy to move/carry and seems to be working well. I’ll definitely have a more firm opinion after I rack to secondary, which should be a VERY easy process with this.

• Ernie

January 24, 2019 at 6:55 am

I heard that some people have had lids that leak a little and don’t really keep a good seal, what have you noticed with yours. Also if you have ever fermented with just a regular bucket fermentor, how does this compare to those.

• John

Administrator
    January 24, 2019 at 1:01 pm

I haven’t had any problems, but I can see what they mean. The lid just press fits in, so it looks like it could pop out under pressure. I guess since the airlock allows the pressure to be continuously released it isn’t a problem. I am actually pretty happy with it overall – definitely looking forward to seeing how much easier it is to rack to secondary.

That’s a good question on the bucket! So I actually usually do my primary in a bucket and secondary in a glass carboy. For this Irish Red, I did a 10 gallon batch and split half into the Big Mouth Bubbler and half into a bucket. I have kept everything else exactly the same, so my plan is to compare the beer at the end to see if there is any difference. We’ll get a blog post up about comparing the differences when it’s done.

• Dustin Pettegrew

January 26, 2019 at 8:26 pm

I’ve really been loving my big mouth bubbler. I just ordered a second one. I’ve read a lot about the new lids popping off but have taken the recommendation I found to flip the rubber gasket upside down and haven’t had any issues. It’s a little more difficult to get the lid on and seated all the way but I don’t anticipate an issue of it popping off during an active fermentation.

• John

Administrator
    January 29, 2019 at 5:44 pm

I’m through most of primary fermentation now and I can definitely say I didn’t have any issues with the list staying on. I didn’t flip the rubber gasket over either. I had a really rigorous fermentation at the beginning, so if the lid was going to pop off it would have done it by now.

I think at this point I can officially say that I’m a fan of the Big Mouth Bubbler! I may need to pick up a second one…