Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums Brewing Equipment Forum Beer Guns Worth It?

• Beer Guns Worth It?

Posted by John on December 23, 2019 at 7:52 pm

Is a beer gun really worth it ?
    I maybe fill a keg or less total per year for guests , I normally just stick a hose off my CO2 manifold down into each bottle and turn the gas on for a few seconds to purge the bottles.
    Then fill the bottles up from my keg faucet from the bottom with a short length of beer line and seal if using flip tops.
    Just wondering if anyone has compared the difference and the outcome.
    Thank you!

Jack Campbell replied 4 years, 2 months ago 7 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Jim

December 23, 2019 at 8:22 pm

I use the Blichmann beer gun to fill all my bottles and have for years. It’s efficient and very reliable. Definitely worth it if you bottle often, but I don’t know the value of you only do 24-48 bottles a year.

• Peter

December 23, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Unless you are bottling to store for a long period of time or ship for competition, I don’t think the beer gun is worth it. I have bottled straight off my tap for years when taking to a friends or giving as gift.

• Arthur Reed

December 23, 2019 at 8:25 pm

It definitely makes things quick and they hold up better over time. If you are giving them out or they are being drank immediately after your process now I would think stick to what you got

• Amanda Parker

December 23, 2019 at 11:50 pm

So, you guys think of the guest drinks it in a week or two after filling then just using a tube like John is fine? I want to bottle some in big grolsch bottles (like little growlers) for friends for Christmas but I can tell them to drink it fast. Is that ok?

• Jake Bell

December 24, 2019 at 1:22 pm

I just throw a tube on the tap long enough to reach bottle bottom, make sure that I get the inside of the bottle wet with star san (helps reduce foaming), then fill. Works well for my purposes. So yeah, same as you.

• Jack Campbell

December 26, 2019 at 5:37 pm

I made my own from a picnic tap, bottling wand, and a rubber stopper. Works great and much less pricey. Look up poor man’s bottling gun and you should find some info on it.