Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • John
    Participant
    • Level 2 User
    • ★★
    #963 |

Does anyone have a strong opinion about whether ball lock or pin lock corny kegs are better? I just got my first keezer and I’m going to be kegging my homebrew for the first time in a few weeks. I’m finding that it’s much easier to find the pin lock ones, and they seem to be a little bit cheaper on Craigslist. Is there any reason I should choose one over the other?

Dave
    Participant
    • Level 2 User
    • ★★
    #964 |

My very limited understanding about ball-lock vs. pin lock:
    1. Ball locks are slightly taller and narrower than pin locks.
    2. Ball locks have a manual pressure relief valve, pin locks do not.
    3. Ball lock posts can be removed with a standard wrench socket, pin locks require a special one.
    4. Pin locks can be converted to ball locks, and vice versa.
    My keezer lines came with ball lock fittings, so I am looking for ball lock kegs, but I understand that there are adapters you can attach to your kegerator lines to switch from one type to the other.

John
    Participant
    • Level 2 User
    • ★★
    #970 |

I’ve done a little more research and it doesn’t look like there is a difference in quality or usefulness –

Corny kegs are originally for soda, and Pepsi used the Ball Lock style while Coke used the Pin Lock style. Ball lock ones seem to be easier to find in most areas, although in mine I’m finding more pin lock ones. Pin lock kegs are a little wider in diameter, too, but just by a half-inch. So I’ll probably just get whatever I can fastest/easiest/cheapest.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.