Forums

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with the BrewTogether community around the world!

Forums General Brewing Forum Alcohol as Sanitizer?

• Alcohol as Sanitizer?

Posted by Jake Bell on February 7, 2020 at 1:49 pm

Have any of you heard of using 70% Isopropyl Alcohol as a spray sanitizer instead of starsan? I saw it recommended by a pro brewer on a facebook group. I know it’s pretty fast acting against bacteria for cleaning in general, and I know when I use Starsan to spray surfaces and fittings I’m supposed to leave it for at least 1 minute of contact. Would isopropyl alcohol work for sanitizing?

Todd Black replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • William

February 7, 2020 at 2:28 pm

Isopropyl will kill every germ and virus within 10 seconds in a lab environment but it it is still toxic to humans and you can’t consume it safely in any amount.

You definitely can as long as it is only ethyl alcohol which is nothing more than strong vodka. Make sure there are no other toxicity labels on the bottle. Isopropyl is very toxic and should not be consumed in any amount – pure ethyl alcohol would be good but in the US they add other stuff to keep people from drinking it and it makes it toxic.

I bought a bottle of Everclear from the liquor store and use that to sterilize and it works great.

• Todd Black

August 18, 2020 at 5:11 am

U can use alch as sanutizer, but it’s very bad for skin! better buy a sanitizer in a local pharmacy