When you switch from extract to all grain brewing, you will likely find yourself wondering what to do with all of that spent grain leftover from your brew day. Sure, you could throw it away, but it seems like such a waste! There are a lot of great things you can do with spent grain (like our FAVORITE spent grain pizza dough!), and one of our favorite ways to use it is to make these delicious spent grain beer crackers! They are very easy to make, and incorporate both your leftover grain and some homebrew! Check out the video and recipe below to see how we make delicious spent grain beer crackers!
You don’t HAVE to join BrewTogether to get these awesome resources, but you totally should anyway! BrewTogether is completely free and our mission is to bring the community of brewers around the world closer together. Join a growing community of awesome homebrewers just like you! Click here to join for free today!
Spent Grain Beer Crackers Recipe
- 2.25 cups All-Purpose Flour (plus additional as needed)
- 1 cup Spent Grain (wet, but squeezed slightly)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
- 1 cup Beer (we like to use a light pale ale for this, like our Cascade SMaSH)
- Add flour, salt, and spices to the mixer bowl and mix well.
- Add spent grain and use a stand mixer with a dough hook on a slow setting to mix it in.
- Continue mixing while slowly adding beer.
- Mix until a uniform dough ball forms. Add additional flour if needed to create a uniform, not sticky dough.
- Dust a clean prep surface with flour and knead dough ball a few times.
- Place dough ball on dusted prep surface and dust with additional flour.
- Begin to press into a flat circle. Use a rolling pin and roll gently from the center out. Sprinkle small amounts of flour as needed, and flip the dough a few times as you roll it out.
- Roll to a thickness of no more than 1/8″. As thin as possible will give the best result.
- Cut into cracker-sized pieces.
- Bake at 325 on an ungreased cookie sheet until crackers are no longer soft, about 30-45 minutes depending on how many sheets you bake at once.
- Allow to cool, ensuring that crackers are completely dry.
- Enjoy with your dip of choice and a cold beer! Crackers will store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for over a week.
Do you make your own spent grain recipes and have any tips to share? Do you have other questions about using spent grain for the BrewTogether Community? Leave a comment below or post in the forums!
Thank you for reading! If you like this article and video, it would mean the world to us if you would share it with your friends using the social media share buttons below.
Disclosure: Some of the links in this article are affiliate links, which means that if you choose to make a purchase after clicking the link, I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!